rt_com and serial break

Rudolf Seemann kapitaen at gmx.at
Sat Aug 10 11:25:56 CEST 2002

Shame on me.
Well, I should have read the UART8150 specification before posting this
message.
For anyone interested in sending serial line breaks. Here is the simple
command which generate this signal out of a kernel module:
outb(0x40,0x3FB); // com1
outb(0x40,0x2FB); // com2
These lines set the 6th bit in the LWR-register. In consequence the uart
generates a serial line break which is something similar to a series of
null bits but in contrast to a normal character this signal lasts 0.25
to 0.5 seconds on the serial port.