make install without devices

Gilles Chanteperdrix gilles.chanteperdrix at laposte.net
Mon Jul 11 13:59:10 CEST 2005

Fillod Stephane wrote:
 > Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote:
 > >> Consider an (unprivileged) user *cross-compiling*.
 > >>
 > >> As Geert uses to put it, "There's lots of Linux beyond ia32".
 > >
 > >AFAIK, "mknod" is not an ia32 specific platform, and making devices is
 > >something normal even when cross-compiling. If not for anything else,
 > we
 > >do this to avoid the recurring user question.
 >
 > Indeed.
 > I was referring to Geert saying for the case of cross-development,
 > where the build system != host system, and where specials nodes
 > do not sit in /dev of build system, sometimes not even in
 > a filesystem (->device-table).

I insist, creating devices also works when cross-compiling.
Fusion is not different from any packages using the auto-tools, when
installing a cross-compiled tree, use the DESTDIR option, as in :

make DESTDIR=/cross-platform-root install

The devices will then be created in the "dev" subdir of whatever DESTDIR
you submitted.

You then have the choice to :
1- use this directory as an NFS root for the platform
2- make it an initrd
3- make it a tar file and burn it to your flash

In the case 1, you are done after running make install and may run
Fusion on your platform.
In cases 2 and 3, I hope you have some script to redo the next step,
and Fusion helps you by allowing you to call this script from the
scripts/postinstall.sh script.

 > However, I'm fine with the common case of people hacking on ia32 for
 > ia32.

This is a common attitude towards the auto-tools: people do not bother
to read the documentation, so come to the conclusion that the auto-tools
do not address their needs and are not good for "real world" usage.

--

					    Gilles Chanteperdrix.