RTAI Installation - questions

Patricio Olguin patricio_olguin at cantv.net
Wed Aug 9 19:09:47 CEST 2006

Hi guys,

I hope you can help me on this:

I have to create an small linux distribution for a embedded industrial PC
(PIII - 256 MB - 128MB FlashDisk). This PC will be used for Data Acquisition
and Industrial control applications, the kernel must provide real-time
services. In order to accomplish this, I did the following:

.- I patched the kernel 2.4.21 with rtai-24.1.21-rthal5g
.- I enabled RTAI HAL option using make menuconfig
.- I compiled kernel using (make dep && make bzImage)

The kernel boots fine (Network, VGA, USB, Serial Ports).

I have some questions:
A.- How to verify the RTAI functionality? How to know if it's working?

B.- Some people use ADEOS and RTAI to bring real-time services. Do I have to
use both? or is RTAI enough?.

Next stage, I have to include more services for my embedded distribution
(Web Server, SSH/Telnet/FTP)

I really appreciate your comments to these questions or any suggestions to
my adventure.

Regards,

Patricio.