RTAI + comedi: Oops

Thomas Netter tnetter at ifi.unizh.ch
Thu Aug 17 17:15:27 CEST 2006

I've been unable to RTAI+comedi for RTAI > 3.3 and linux > 2.6.12
I've tried on 2 laptops and one desktop. When I insert comedi.ko I get a
Segmentation fault on stdout and an Oops in /var/log/syslog
Help would be greatly appreciated.

My installation is done according to the RTAI-Lab tutorial available from:

For example with an IBM T42 ThinkPad and linux- patched
with rtai-3.4-test1    hal-linux-2.6.16-i386-1.3-00.patch
My .config:
bootup dmesg:

I then insmod RTAI modules:
insmod /usr/realtime/modules/rtai_hal.ko
insmod /usr/realtime/modules/rtai_up.ko
insmod /usr/realtime/modules/rtai_fifos.ko
insmod /usr/realtime/modules/rtai_sem.ko
insmod /usr/realtime/modules/rtai_mbx.ko
insmod /usr/realtime/modules/rtai_msg.ko
insmod /usr/realtime/modules/rtai_netrpc.ko  ThisNode=""
insmod /usr/realtime/modules/rtai_shm.ko
insmod /usr/realtime/modules/rtai_leds.ko
insmod /usr/realtime/modules/rtai_signal.ko
insmod /usr/realtime/modules/rtai_tasklets.ko

syslog after inserting RTAI modules:

I then insmod comedi.ko:
insmod /lib/modules/

syslog after inserting comedi.ko:

The good thing is that if your help can make it work, the Installation
section of the RTAI-Lab tutorial might become even better!

Many thanks.