new RTAI user putting together a new rtai system

Jon Weisz signalvsnoise at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 21:40:32 CEST 2006

I'm putting together a system for some psychophysics experiments that has to
control a motorized armature and get feedback about the position of that
armature.  It also has to provide a display for both the subject and the
researcher.  It looks to me like rtai and comedi are the way to go here, and
I thought before I purchased the components of the main system I'm going to
run all this on I'd run its specs by the list to see if I was doing anything
blatantly stupid.

I'm planning to run this system on Ubtuntu Dapper Drake,  because thats what
I'm familiar with and it supposedly going to be a long term support release.
I was going to go with a matrox parhelia card for the mutlihead support, but
the scilab how-to said that wouldn't work under 2.6 and I haven't read
through enough of the list yet to know if thats still a worthwhile concern.

Here are the components I'm considering at:
Motherboard:    Jetway 939AGP-P
Processor:    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester 2000MHz
VideoCard:    MSI Radeon 9550 AGP 8x
Ram:    2X Corsair valueselect 512 MB ram
Case:    ATRIX CSCI-L8033-C43
DAC:    Sensoray 626
CD ROM:    ASUS CD Burner Black E-IDE/ATAPI

For additional details ( and their prices on NewEgg) you can check out my
google notebook:
http://www.google.com/notebook/public/13316081778045628562/BDSEYSwoQ-Y3b1Loh

I'm still working my way through the documentation, so any warnings or
concerns would be appreciated,

Thanks,
Jonathan Weisz