[Rtai] Netrpc communication problem

Paolo Mantegazza mantegazza at aero.polimi.it
Thu May 8 09:06:38 CEST 2008

Thomas Eigel wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> after upgrading to a new laptop, I experience problems running my
> software. The original and working setup was:
>   * One dedicated realtime PC running an interface task (besides other tasks):
>            1.4 GHz Pentium M,
>            kernel 2.6.19,
>            RTAI-3.5
>   * One laptop for monitoring (connecting to the interface task via
> netrpc and exchanging data via mailboxes):
>            1.7 GHz Pentium M,
>            kernel 2.6.19,
>            RTAI-3.5
>
> After getting a new laptop, I used the chance to upgrade to RTAI-3.6.
> The new setup is:
>   * Same realtime PC now with kernel 2.6.22 and RTAI-3.6
>   * New laptop (Lenovo ThinkPad T61p):
>            2.2GHz core2 duo,
>            kernel 2.6.22 (i386),
>            RTAI-3.6
>
> Now, when connecting to the remote PC, the program freezes. I traced
> the error down to
>   RT_TASK* iftask = (RT_TASK*)RT_get_addr(node, port, "IFTASK");
>
> I tried to run the realtime process and the monitor process on the
> same laptop. The local connection is still working alright.
> Might there be a problem connecting from a 64 Bit to a 32 Bit
> processor (although there is 32 Bit Linux installed on both)?

First of all test 3.6 on the combination on which 3.5 works already.
This will grant you that all the new things added to netrpc have not
caused any regression on your application.

If you think it is a 32/32 Linux on 64 problem you should check with
showroom/netrpc remote* tests and report what happens.

32/64 bits communications on x86 have been made possible in MAGMA
development CVS, but that should not be a solution for you as you are
complaining for 32/32 with one on a 64 hardware.

Paolo.