[Rtai] Porting SocketCAN to RTAI

Robert Rasche robert at raschhour.com
Wed Sep 7 11:17:17 CEST 2011

Hello,

Im currently making a busmaster tool for a CANopen application. We want a very precise bus-cycle
and need realtime capabilities for that, Which is why we use RTAI.

We use the Peak-PCI CAN-Adapter. It ships with chardev drivers for RT-systems (RTAI or Xenomai).

However we also want to use the network-device approach with SocketCAN. Now there is a SocketCAN
port for Xenomai and imho it relies solely on rtdm functionality. Now my question is: Is it easy
to port either SocketCAN or Xenomai RTSocketCAN driver for the Peak-device to RTAI, and how would
i go about doing that. I'm rather inexperienced with drivers.

Can you point me somewhere or do you see an alternative to porting the driver.

regards
Robert Rasche