can't reboot and shutdown my laptop after rebuilding the kernel 2.4.26 with patch rtai-3.1

Jan Kiszka jan.kiszka at web.de
Sun Oct 3 19:49:07 CEST 2004

Zhang Yuchen wrote:
> Hi, all,
>
> After patching the kernel 2.4.26 with rtai-3.1-test3 and recompiling the
> kernel, I can't reboot or shutdown my laptop anymore. When I want to reboot
> it, it gets stuck at the message "preparing for reboot.....".  when I want
> to shutdown it, it gets stuck at the message "knoppix halts", and I have to
> turn off the power myself.

Not sure if this was already fixed in 3.1: With previous RTAI 3.x
versions, there was a shutdown problem when rtai_lxrt was used as scheduler.

try to kill during reboot or halt. Unfortunately, this kill cause RTAI
to crash. You may check this by switching to the kernel output console
or directing the kernel dump to your primary console before starting the
shutdown. You will likely see an oops then.

Workaround: unload all RTAI modules before shutting down (or put them in
some shutdown script).

Jan