what is fusion?

Paolo Mantegazza mantegazza at aero.polimi.it
Tue Oct 5 11:30:29 CEST 2004

Gavin Li wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I browsed all the mail list archives, I couldn't find a description what is
> fusion?
>
> another question: The ADEOS is not patented and suppose to replace the
> rthal, but it still needs the support of rthal which is the patented. why?
> at least when I use rtai3.1, I have to insmod rthal first.

Philippe has answered already but I do want to be picky on a point again.

Even with the old RTHAL way and RTAI-(NEW)LXRT, the only thing that
should have counted for years, RTAI was not the dual kernel approach.

On the other hand the patent could have covered the RTAI legacy stuff
related to kernel only applications, but for that there is the well
known Moglen's clarification.

The fact that there are RTAI users that keep working in kernel only with
sched_up/mup/smp and fifos, while everybody should have transitioned to
LXRT (without_using_RTAI_PROPER_TASKS) for kernel only applications
also, is just a masochistic constraint they want to put on themselves.
They should thank Philippe for having cared of migrating such a support
to 3.x also. On my side, after splitting the APIs from the schedulers
proper, I never wrote a single line for kernel space only support in 3.x
and never will again.

Finally I want to stress what I said many many times already. ADEOS has
not been chosen for RTAI because of the patent, but because it grants a
freedom community effort and because it is a technically superior
support for _any_ Real Time Application Interface on a general purpose
OS. When I say _any_ I mean not just RTAI, present and fusion, as with
ADEOS anybody can easily do what (s)he wants.

Paolo.