Comments on Montavista's "Open Source Real-Time Linux Project"?

Paolo Mantegazza mantegazza at aero.polimi.it
Mon Oct 11 15:11:46 CEST 2004

Herman Bruyninckx wrote:
> Montavista launched their single-kernel realtime Linux project:
>  <http://source.mvista.com/linux_2_6_RT.html>
>  <ftp://source.mvista.com/pub/realtime/rttReleaseNotes>
>
> Does somebody have enough insight to list the differences in approach and
> performance between Montavista's suggestion and RTAI?

Speaking as one that has nothing to sell but has compelling real time
needs when I read this:

"We are reluctant to publish any performance numbers until
we have completed the mutex-spinlock partitioning and
provisioned support for RW locks.
At that point, we expect the worst case preemption latencies
to be in the hundreds of microseconds on a typical workstation."

my answer is: I'm not interested in it. In fact they will miss a very
few 10s of us anyhow, i.e. what I need.

So, at the moment, I know it is not a substitute of what I'm using for
only relatively fast control systems. Then I've got to go on keeping and
improving my own tool, leaving any discussioon on the technical content
of the proposed solution to those that need real time in the range of
unspecified "hundreds of microseconds".

Paolo.