fs problems with lxrt?

root daniele.lugli at fastwebnet.it
Tue Oct 12 20:27:41 CEST 2004

Some days ago I started a discussion thread about file system problems
seemingly due to LXRT. That thread then ran out without any conclusion.

Now I would like to add the results of some experiments I've made
working with a kernel 2.4.22 patched with rtai-24.1.12 (adeos, but the
problem is present with legacy rthal too).

With newlxrt scheduler set, if I:
1) boot 2.4.22-adeos;
2) login as root (X, blackbox window manager);
3) bring up an xterm and issue 'modprobe rtai_sched';
4) issue 'lsmod' and see that rtai and rtai_sched are there;
5) don't absolutely run my code nor any other application, not even rtai
examples/tests;
6) issue 'modprobe -r rtai_sched';
7) issue 'lsmod' and see that rtai and rtai_sched aren't there any more;
8) issue 'reboot',

during shutdown I always get messages complaining that /dev/pts is busy
and that umount failed on /dev/hda4 (my /). Usually reboot works fine,
but occasionally I am asked to run fsck manually.

If I do exactly the same operations (1-8) but with the up scheduler set
instead of newlxrt, I never see any complaint at shutdown and never need
to run fsck at reboot.

The file system was reiser for these tests, but I had similar results
with ext3 (both journalling file systems - could this mean?)

Neither the hardware seems important, as I got similar results on three
different machines (all i386 architecture though).

Also, I got similar results with rtai-3.1 over 2.4.24.

I can send to the willing my kernel and rtai configurations (looks like
it's not possible to attach them here).

IMHO in this moment while Paolo is trying to persuade everybody to go
LXRT (and I fully share his opinion) it would be a very, very welcome
thing to have this problem clarified.

Daniele Lugli