Memory leak?

Panagiotis Issaris panagiotis.issaris at mech.kuleuven.ac.be
Thu Oct 14 09:47:03 CEST 2004

Peter van den Bosch wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I run Linux 2.6.8.1 vesuvio (RTAI-3.1-test4) compiled for Duron and
> noticed that when running user space programs they seem to not return
> all the used memory! I did the following with the user/preempt example:
>
> grep MemFree < /proc/meminfo
> ./run (CTRL-C)
> grep MemFree < /proc/meminfo
>
> which results in 300kB less free memory every time! With the result
> that running the program several hundreds of times it won't start
> anymore because of lack of memory :-(
> I also noticed this with my own programs. Is this a known problem or
> some mistake of mine?

I had similar problems with RTAI-3.1-test4. The userspace/switch tests
did not exit properly, and consumed
memory until:
Wait for it...
Out of memory: killed process 1690
LXRT releases PID 1690
Out of memory: killed process 1691
LXRT releases PID 1691
Out of memory: killed process 1692
LXRT releases PID 1692
killed 371 (sshd)
killed 380 (bash)

After which I had to reboot the machine, because of the decreasing
responsiveness of the machine.

I also noted in killing an LXRT application, that although everything
looked to be cleaned up -I removed
all RTAI modules- the CPU load was increasing continuously. When
reaching 25 I rebooted the machine.

With friendly regards,
Takis

Panagiotis Issaris