socket programming on RTAI

deepa.vijayaraghavan at mbtech-group.com deepa.vijayaraghavan at mbtech-group.com
Thu Oct 14 14:15:40 CEST 2004

Hi all,
    I have an IBM440PC based board with Linuxppc_2_4_devel on it, and rtai
ver 24.1.12. Thanks to this mailing list, I have completed the setup and
am able to run some simple programs.
    Now, I would like to communicate through the ethernet. My application
is an RTAI module, running an idle(slow) and a timer(fast) task. In the
idle loop, I would like to send data out through the ethernet link. Can I
make socket calls directly from the RTAI task? Or do I have to send the
data through a FIFO (or some other IPC service) to a user space process,
that then connects to the socket? What are the possible options? Sending
it through a user process seems a bit too round about for me! Would be
great if someone out there points me to some good solutions.

Thanks and Regards
Deepa.