rtnet code in rtai_24.1.12 (from denx)

Paolo Mantegazza mantegazza at aero.polimi.it
Fri Oct 15 18:40:53 CEST 2004

deepa.vijayaraghavan at mbtech-group.com wrote:

> Hello, Thanks a lot for the details.
> One newbie question:
> The code you have provided is an interface that enables calling the linux
> kernel socket interface directly from the RTAI module. Am I correct?
> How is RTNET different from this? I mean, since RTNET is hard real time, I
> think it does more in terms of converting the drivers etc., to enable hard
> realtime. Is my understanding correct?
> Hence, when I use the kernel socket calls, I do not have hard real time.
> For my application this interface is probably what I need. But as a person
> new to all this, I am just curious to learn & understand more.
> If you could point me to some documents/links that explain more about
> this(normal kernel drivers & hard realtime drivers), it will be great!

Correct, the functions provided are not for real time, they use plain Linux.

I think there is no need for a more specific documentation. When in the
need of using both Linux and RTNet for the same application you have to
care of the coding. In RTAI netrpc.c there is the simple way we adopted.
An example application integrating Linux and RTNet networking can be
found at: http://www.aero.polimi.it/~mbdyn/mbdyn-rt/index.html.

Paolo.