hal6, hal7, hal12, hal16 ... ?

Philippe Gerum rpm at xenomai.org
Sat Oct 16 00:46:37 CEST 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-15 at 19:04, Hannes Mayer wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I wondered a few times about the different hal's of RTAI.
> In RTAI3.0 the names for the patches for kernel 2.4 start
> with hal12, in RTAI3.1 with hal16 for kernel 2.4 and
> hal6 & 7 for kernel 2.6.
>
> Are those version numbers ?
> If so, why have the kernel patches for kernel2.6 lower
> numbers than for 2.4 kernels in RTAI3.1 ?

Because hal patches are in fact plain unmodified Adeos patches in
disguise, so there are named after the source Adeos release numbers;
which is somewhat simpler for the maintainer to know what he is doing
when dealing with both Adeos and RTAI codebases. Since Adeos was first
implemented for 2.4.18, there have been more releases for 2.4 up to now
than for the more recent 2.6 kernel, but latest releases of both
branches are functionally equivalent.

This said, the reasons for such rename have disappeared now, so the next
fusion release will use the original Adeos names directly; I'll submit
the same change for 3.2 and Paolo will decide for it.

> Thank you very much!
>
> Best regards,
> Hannes.

Philippe.