hal6, hal7, hal12, hal16 ... ?

Hannes Mayer h.mayer at inode.at
Sat Oct 16 05:54:16 CEST 2004

Philippe Gerum wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-10-15 at 19:04, Hannes Mayer wrote:
>
>>Hi all!
>>
>>I wondered a few times about the different hal's of RTAI.
>>In RTAI3.0 the names for the patches for kernel 2.4 start
>>with hal12, in RTAI3.1 with hal16 for kernel 2.4 and
>>hal6 & 7 for kernel 2.6.
>>
>>Are those version numbers ?
>>If so, why have the kernel patches for kernel2.6 lower
>>numbers than for 2.4 kernels in RTAI3.1 ?
>>

> Because hal patches are in fact plain unmodified Adeos patches in
> disguise, so there are named after the source Adeos release numbers;
> which is somewhat simpler for the maintainer to know what he is doing
> when dealing with both Adeos and RTAI codebases. Since Adeos was first
> implemented for 2.4.18, there have been more releases for 2.4 up to now
> than for the more recent 2.6 kernel, but latest releases of both
> branches are functionally equivalent.
>
> This said, the reasons for such rename have disappeared now, so the next
> fusion release will use the original Adeos names directly; I'll submit
> the same change for 3.2 and Paolo will decide for it.

Thank you very much Philippe!

I had a look at the adeos site and found this:
adeos-linux-2.4.27-i386-r16.patch -> hal16
adeos-linux-2.6.8.1-i386-r7.patch -> hal7

My question was more related to stability than functionally.
The kernel2.4 branch of Adeos is older, so it is more tested and therefore
more stable than the kernel2.6 branch ? So I assume RTAI with hal16 is
considered more stable too ?

Thank you again!

Best regards,
Hannes.