lxrt question - dynamical loading of code at runtime into lxrt application

Jan Kiszka kiszka at rts.uni-hannover.de
Thu Oct 21 11:43:53 CEST 2004

Hello Max,

> Hi,
>
> my question is lxrt design related.
>
> We have an application, it's real time control, until now we are using
> kernel space. The question is how i could port that to lxrt.
>
> We are dynamically loading multiple exchangeable controllers at runtime
> for our different plants on one machine. In kernel mode this can be done
> by loading a module.
> Since the kernel is basically one namespace, by knowing the right
> function names in other modules we plug into the framework of our other
> communication/logging/IPC modules.
>
> I'm aware on how to port all the other modules and the driver for the
> DAQ card which will be running all the time. But how can i load a module
> (or any other piece of code) into an lxrt enabled program in user space
> at runtime ?
>
> Has anybody else done a similar thing with lxrt ?
> Or even better, anybody has examples, bits of code etc. ?

Especially for handling dynamic driver/application relations, we have
drafted and implemented a thin registration model for real-time Linux
(RTDM - Real-Time Driver Model). See my announcement on the rtai-dev and
the RTnet list
(http://www.mail-archive.com/rtnet-users@lists.sourceforge.net/msg00207.html).
You can find the working reference implementation in RTnet since release
0.7.0 (rtnet.sf.net).

The RTAI implementation of the model allows a driver module (kernel) to
offer its services to both kernel and LXRT real-time applications. The
drivers functionality has to be mapped either on the POSIX I/O model
(open/close/read/write/ioctl) or on POSIX sockets
(socket/close/sendmsg/recvmsg/...). Therefore, you have two namespaces,
clear-text names for the first class, address families and socket types
for the second one.

You can find the RTDM code in
http://www.rts.uni-hannover.de/rtnet/lxr/source/rtai_rtdm.
Unfortunately, I still didn't find the time to re-write the original
specification reflecting the implemented model. But if you have
questions, feel free to ask.

Jan

PS: There is currently an ongoing effort by one of the RTnet developers
to extend RTDM with a select mechanism, thus allowing to wait on
multiple events with a single task.