system reboots after insmod rtai_hal

Philippe Gerum rpm at xenomai.org
Mon Oct 25 16:56:19 CEST 2004

On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 16:39, Daniel Rohrbach wrote:
> Am Freitag, 22. Oktober 2004 20:59 schrieben Sie:
> > On Fri, 2004-10-22 at 12:13, Daniel Rohrbach wrote:
> > > Hello list,
> > >
> > > I'm, facing a strange problem:
> > > Everytime I insert rtai_hal.ko, my embedded system reboots after printing
> > >
> > > Adeos: Domain RTAI registered.
> > > RTAI[hal]: Loaded over Adeos 2.6r8c5/x86.
> > >
> > > My system:
> > > fusion-0.6.1  (it also reboots with 0.5 or 0.6)
> > > Linux-2.6.8.1 patched with r6c5
> >
> > Issues have already been reported with 2.6.8.1. Try 2.6.7 to check.
> >
> > > Does anybody know, what could cause this problem? I don't think it is a
> > > problem from fusion, because it also crashes with fusion-0.5 and
> > > fusion-0.6.
> > >

> > > Daniel.
> > >

> Hello,
>
> thanks for reply, but it still doesn't work with 2.6.7. How I wrote before, I
> think it's a failure of me, not from fusion. Can you tell me, what causes
> this reboots, or give me a hint? So that I have a startup, to look for
> mistakes in my configuration.

Normally, fusion configuration should be error-proof enough to prevent
deadly misconfigs. What's going on is hard to say without any kernel
trace. As a first guess, check your gcc version, FPU support switch and
non-SMP setup especially on low-end x86 boards without APIC. Other
configs are unlikely to have any impact on the hal module though. You
might want to grab a trivial Adeos module and try it alone, just to see
if the problem is Adeos -related or not.

See there:
http://cvs.gna.org/viewcvs/adeos/linux/examples/simple/adtest.c

You will have to craft a simple one-liner Makefile for 2.6 to compile it
since the existing one in the same directory is for 2.4.

> Daniel.

Philippe.