hal6, hal7, hal12, hal16 ... ?

Philippe Gerum rpm at xenomai.org
Mon Oct 25 20:56:57 CEST 2004

On Sun, 2004-10-24 at 22:39, Hannes Mayer wrote:
> Philippe Gerum wrote:
> >>My question was more related to stability than functionally.
> >>The kernel2.4 branch of Adeos is older, so it is more tested and therefore
> >>more stable than the kernel2.6 branch ? So I assume RTAI with hal16 is
> >>considered more stable too ?
> >>

> > I'd say that all Adeos incarnations in their latest releases for both
> > 2.4 and 2.6 have the same level of stability. Using one or the other
> > should be a consequence of going for a given kernel branch, not the
> > other way around. AFAIC, I'm exclusively working with 2.6 since January.
>
> Thank you very much Philippe!
>
> If I may ask, what is your average uptime for kernel 2.6 ?

I'm using 2.6.7 since it has been released, and never experienced
unexpected crashes, at least on UP boxen. Of course, I'm excluding
crashes which involved my RTAI experiments. These ones were, well,
expected.

> If you need to design a production system now, which kernel and which
> version of RTAI / hal-patch would you recommend (x86) ?

Not 2.6.8.1, there are strange things happening in these woods... I did
not try 2.6.9 yet. Adeos-wise, r8c5 is reasonably ok, but I'd suggest to
move to r8 final when it's available, because it will have passed the
currently undergoing fusion stress tests on a larger scale than
candidate patches did, both for UP and SMP.

> Thank you again,
> Hannes.

Philippe.