Installation on separate platform

Umar Qureshey uq at ecs.fullerton.edu
Wed Oct 27 08:26:45 CEST 2004

Hi,

I am compiling RTAI 3.1 on my i686 Mandrake System for a 486DX4
laptop.  I have already Adeos-patched, compiled, and brought up the
2.6.8.1 kernel on the laptop.  I have also compiled RTAI 3.1 on my
Mandrake System.  Can someone inform how I can go about installing RTAI on
the laptop?  Installing on the same system simply consist of 'make
install' but I am not sure how to do this if the installation system is
different.  Do I have to export an NFS mount from the laptop to the
Mandrake System and 'make install' to that location (ugh!) ?

Also, I chose Adeos support in my kernel config as built-in (*), not
module (M).  Is this ok?  I have enabled module support and disabled
module versioning as noted in installation guides.

Finally, does RTAI compile for generic i386 architecture or does it
compile the same as the host architecture?  In my case, my compilation
system is i686 and my RTAI installation system will be an i486.  If so,
how do I change this?

Thanks for any tips.

All the best,

Umar