Installation on separate platform

Gilles Chanteperdrix gilles.chanteperdrix at laposte.net
Wed Oct 27 10:35:25 CEST 2004

Umar Qureshey wrote:
 > Hi,
 >
 > I am compiling RTAI 3.1 on my i686 Mandrake System for a 486DX4
 > laptop.  I have already Adeos-patched, compiled, and brought up the
 > 2.6.8.1 kernel on the laptop.  I have also compiled RTAI 3.1 on my
 > Mandrake System.  Can someone inform how I can go about installing RTAI on
 > the laptop?  Installing on the same system simply consist of 'make
 > install' but I am not sure how to do this if the installation system is
 > different.  Do I have to export an NFS mount from the laptop to the
 > Mandrake System and 'make install' to that location (ugh!) ?

The preferred way, I guess, is to use the standard DESTDIR automake
variable when installing. Instead of typing 'make install', type 'make
DESTDIR=/some/dir install'. /some/dir may be the mount point of your
laptop filesystem on your development platform, or a temporary dir which
you will copy from one platform to the other.

 > Finally, does RTAI compile for generic i386 architecture or does it
 > compile the same as the host architecture?  In my case, my compilation
 > system is i686 and my RTAI installation system will be an i486.  If so,
 > how do I change this?

The compiler used for compiling RTAI has to be the same as the one
which compiled the Linux kernel. The Linux kernel will refuse to load
RTAI modules otherwise.

--

					    Gilles Chanteperdrix.