Scheduling Polices and soft realtime doubts in RTAI/Fusion

Philippe Gerum rpm at xenomai.org
Mon Jul 11 17:02:45 CEST 2005

Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas wrote:
> Hi all, specially Gerum and Paolo that have already helped me a lot!
>
> My advisor asked me to talk to his students about real-time Linux. I'm
> likely to talk mostly about RTAI/Fusion. The course is about RTOS. I
> have some doubts and would like you to help me. The class will be on
> Tuesday.
>
> I've looked for the scheduling policy used by RTAI and Fusion but did
> not find. Is there any documentation that states this? I would like to
> know what is the default policy used and if it is possible to choose
> another one and how to do it. I've found a message from Guru that states:
> [...
> RTAI supports FIFO and Round Robin.

fusion currently has built-in support for fixed-priority FIFO scheduling
and round-robin. We plan to add a scheduler plugin infrastructure in a
reasonable future, but that won't be done overnight.

> It also supports RMS and EDF with YOUR HELP.
>
> read the file for more details:
> Documentation/README.SCHED_POLICY
> ...]
>
> I didn't find this file in recent releases both from RTAI 3.2 and Fusion
> 0.8.2.
>
> I found that Fusion is able to support the O(1) scheduler, as available
> in the 2.6 series. What is the default policy? Is O(1) the only
> alternative for the scheduler?

As Jan said, O(1) is only an implementation detail determining how
scalable your scheduler will be in presence of a high number of runnable
threads.

> The other question is about the soft realtime concept. It is not clear
> to me the differences between a soft realtime task and a no realtime
> task at all. The soft realtime task is scheduled by the Linux scheduler
> doesn't it? So, what is the difference between a soft realtime task and
> a normal Linux process or thread? I understand that the difference is
> that if the task is periodic it will execute in the specified period.
> But I think I could archieve a similar result with a regular Linux task
> and some programming. So, I guess that the soft realtime has a priority
> greater then Linux so that Linux only runs when no soft or real realtime
> task is running. But that would yield to another doubt. How could that
> happen if the task is scheduled by Linux. What would be the difference
> between hard and soft real-time? I know that a hard realtime can't
> execute linux calls in hard-realtime and that the hard realtime have
> priorities greater than soft realtime ones. What about the other
> differences? And what happen if a deadline is missed both for a soft and
> a hard realtime task? I know the programmer can verify if a deadline was
> missed, but if he/she doesn't test it what is the behaviour?

Have a look there, especially the Life with Adeos document:
http://download.gna.org/rtai/documentation/fusion/pdf/

> Sorry for this lot of questions, but I sware I've been looking for this
> information about 2 days (my advisor asked me on Friday) and found
> nothing solid. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places. Hopefully you can
> enlight me.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Rodrigo.

Philippe.