No luck running RTAI/fusion on my PIII notebook

Gilles Chanteperdrix gilles.chanteperdrix at laposte.net
Sun May 8 22:20:05 CEST 2005

Wolfgang Grandegger wrote:
 > On 05/08/2005 08:54 PM Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote:
 > > Wolfgang Grandegger wrote:
 > >  > Hello,
 > >  > (...)
 > >  > rtai_hal: no version for "struct_module" found: kernel tainted.
 > >
 > > You likely have a compilation problem, which should be solved
 > > first.
 > >
 > > Are you sure you are using the same compiler for Linux and RTAI ?
 >
 > I work with a fast (Pentium M) and a slow (Pentium III) laptop running
 > both an up-to-date version of Fedore Core 2 with gcc version 3.3.3
 > 20040412 (Red Hat Linux 3.3.3-7). I actually compile Linux and RTAI on
 > the fast laptop and install it on the slow one via NFS. I don't think
 > this is a problem.

This might be a problem if RTAI configure script screws something up,
picks the build dir of the kernel running on your fast laptop (the
default is to use /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build directory, and with some
earlier versions, it happened that this default was used even if you
selected something else) and compiles modules for it, and you then try
to load the generated modules on the slow one. Some kernel configuration
differences are caught by the kernel module loading function, but not
all of them.

What is important for me to help you debug your problem is to know the
exact build procedure you followed...

 > > Is Fusion 0.7.2 working with the same Linux .config and RTAI
 > > .rtai_config ?
 >
 > It's the same problem with 0.7.2.

Not a regression then.

Thanks in advance.