rtai-config and compiler optimizations

Andrew Dobrowolski andrewd at sc.rr.com
Thu Apr 19 02:24:05 CEST 2007

I have been using  rtai 3.5 with linux kernel version 2.6.19.7 in a debian
"etch" environment.  Everything has been working very well for some real
time data acquisition and processing applications.  I must say that it is
very impressive to be able to use this software so easily.

I have a question about the use of the gcc compiler optimization "-O2" which
is returned by the "rtai-config" script together with the necessary include
paths etc.  This option overrides any previous optimization settings, for
example -O0, to make initial debugging easier.  If I alter the "rtai-config"
script to supply a "-O0" optimization parameter, everything compiles OK, but
when linking with the rtai library, the rtai functions are undefined.

Is there any way to compile and link my project with optimization off for
easier debugging purposes?

Andrew Dobrowolski